|Another facet of BLANK CANVAS MUSIC is its music copyist/ music preparation services for the motion picture & television recording industry, musicals, jingles, live performances, symphonic compositions, and publishing. In fast turnaround time, whether it be for full orchestra or an ensemble featuring just piano and voice, BCM takes your composition and creates a legible, clean, slick-looking score. Choosing from either the "Engraver Maestro" font or the "Jazz" font*, you and BCM together can achieve the right look for your music which will give you peace of mind in how you present yourself and your music to the musicians you work with. Keep in mind, whether your ensemble is learning, rehearsing, or performing your music, time is of the essence. Musicians love the look of an easily readable and usable score. Yes - even difficult page turns can be changed to be unobtrusive! With my experience in a broad range of musical styles from classical through contemporary pop and jazz, I am also experienced and skilled as an orchestrator and arranger. My experience insures that your prepared music will be accurate, clear, and stylistically appropriate.|
* The “Engraver Maestro” font is a more formal-looking style,
while the “Jazz” font looks handwritten
GETTING STARTED...YOUR FREE PHONE/ EMAIL CONSULTATION:
Contact me via phone or email and tell me what you need your score to look like. Then I’m off to make it happen.
THE NOTATION BREAKDOWN: BCM uses FINALE Notation Software to create your...
Parts/ scores are printed on either 9 1/2” x 12 1/2” paper, folio 9"x 12" (commonly used for published music), letter, or custom sized pages. Autography (hand copying) is also available. Also, BCM can convert your standard MIDI files or sequencer files into the final score and parts from a fully orchestrated sequencer file. Do you have your music file in Logic, Digital Performer, Mosaic, Encore, Finale, Cakewalk, Vision, Sibelius, Igor...? No problem. BCM will extract those files and get your music notated.
- Traditional Orchestral Scores
- Avant-garde Orchestral Scores
- Individual instrumental Orchestral Parts with orchestral cues written in multi-measured rests for easy follow along
- Musical Piano/ Vocal Scores with song cues and important libretto information notated within the score
- Musical Piano/ Vocal Scores that have a “truncated” version of the show’s true orchestration printed within the piano/ vocal staves and instrumentation abbreviations labeled accordingly
- Pop/ Rock Music that includes Piano/ Vocal Lines/ Guitar Chords
- A Piano reduction of a multi-instrumental score
- Pieces for Solo Instruments
- Percussion Ensembles
- Big Band Charts
- Chamber Orchestra [or duets, trios, quartets, etc.]
- Lead Sheets for vocal jazz standards with chord progressions
- Choral Ensembles [piano reductions representing all parts included for easy rehearsal]
- ...Or any other ensemble you can think of!
BCM can take a piece of music and transpose it to a different key or notate the piece for an entirely different instrument. VOCALISTS: Got a big vocal/ acting audition coming up and the song you want to sing is too high or too low? No worries... send it to BCM and I’ll help make you shine with your song in a new key that’s appropriate for your voice. Just let us know what your vocal range is and BCM takes care of the rest. If the key is still not correct when I send it to you, all I have to do is another transposition [this time all it takes is a click of the mouse] and you’re in business at no extra charge!
BCM can also provide transcriptions of recorded music. This is where I listen to a recording and notate exactly what I hear to create a score on paper. [Please note: Mp3’s, cassette tapes, 45’s, and 78’s are all workable to get the music from recording to paper. Recordings must be clean and easily heard. Also, there is an additional fee for this service since it takes a little more time than regular notating]. Rates for transcriptions are the same as those for scores with the addition of a transcription fee of $0.15 to $0.45 per measure (not per frame), depending on the difficulty of the music. This is because it requires more work to find the notes without an existing manuscript. For orchestral scores pricing would be differ depending on the number of instruments you have. Please email me to discuss the specifics of your project.
MY PLEDGE TO YOU:
100% BCM Guarantee: Accuracy. Any mistakes in the final product will be corrected at no additional charge. Have changes you wish to make or questions regarding your project? I will be available to you via phone and/ or email to get the latest information I need to make sure the final product is what you need it to be. Your project isn’t finished until it is f i n i s h e d and looks exactly like you need it to look.
Some copyists charge by the page or by the hour. My pricing is by the measure or frame. See below for the definition of a frame. This offers several advantages:
1. You can easily calculate for yourself how much a project will cost, no need to wait for an estimate.
2. If a project takes longer than expected to complete, you do not pay for the extra time. In fact, it is in my interest to finish in a timely manner or jeopardize my profits.
3. Measures can be well-spaced for easy reading, since there is no reason to stretch measures to make more pages or squeeze measures to cut down on pages.
Pricing for scores is per frame. Current price for all scores is $0.30 per frame - No minimum order required.
A frame is one measure on a single staff with something in it other than a whole rest. For example:
This example would be priced at $0.30 at 2 frames = $0.60.
Add two more staves, and the number of frames triples (below is a typical piano/ vocal score):
This example would be priced at $1.80 [6 frames @ $0.30 per frame].
BUT... anything with a whole rest in it doesn't count:
So, measure 2 and 3 for the piccolo, flute, and oboe would not cost anything. In this example, the charge would be 6 frames @ $0.30 per frame = $3.60. PLEASE NOTE: if any frame has a rest with a fermata over it, there will be the usual charge of $0.30 for that frame.
Calculating your price
Scores are made to follow standard rules of music notation and plain old common sense. They are designed to be "user-friendly" to the musician. Scores are produced using Finale professional music scoring software.
In the event you should find a mistake, scores will be corrected at no extra cost. Rush jobs are available. An additional $0.20 will be added per frame.
Once the project is completed and the invoice is submitted to you via email or “snail” mail, payment can be made via PAYPAL, or a cashier’s check or money order made out to BCM. Payment must be received before final product is emailed or “snail” mailed to you.
GETTING YOUR SLICK NEW MUSIC TO YOU:
FINALE notation products can be:
ALSO AVAILABLE....ACTORS: If you don't have access to a pianist to help you learn or play through your audition song, contact BCM to make a mp3 recording of your song, in your key. This way you can be prepared for the audition without going through the trouble of hiring an accompanist. Tracks include:
- Emailed to one or more email addresses
- Printed out and “snail” mailed to one or more addresses
- Saved to disc in PDF format and “snail” mailed to one or more addresses
- Saved to disc in .mus format [for FINALE 2009 users] and “snail” mailed to one or more addresses or saved in the .XML format for users of other notation software or earlier versions of FINALE. This .XML format allows you to make any edits to your music [corrections, transpositions, etc.].
- Saved to a zip file and emailed to one or more email addresses
- Faxed to one or more fax lines
- Fed-Ex’d same day, next day, or ground to one or more addresses
And the third track with just piano accompaniment played so you can put the final touches on your audition song.
- One in which the melody is played for you to learn the song
- Another track with the vocal melody and piano accompaniment played for further rehearsal
- And the third track with just piano accompaniment played so you can put the final touches on your audition song.
Also, if you are unsure of which key is best for your voice, we can include your song in several keys. Let BCM know what you need and we can do it.